To accountants, numbers are what makes the world go ‘round. Read on for some of the best Online Master’s in Accounting degrees out there.
The field of accounting sometimes gets pigeon-holed as a boring career. It’s just numbers, right? Wrong! Accountants are often in the center of huge business deals, government trade negotiations, and tax investigations. Accountants keep meticulous records, and are often turned to in getting out of tough financial situations. And the cherry on top? Accountants get paid a pretty penny for what they do.
Sound good to you? Below, you’ll find the top 35 Online Master’s in Accounting degrees in the nation that will have you rising to the top of the financial world in no time.
What is an Online Master’s in Accounting degree?
Basically, accountants are the police force of the financial world. You read that right. When it comes down to it, accountants have the task of keeping financial records in line. They’re rule followers – and we’re all better off for it!
If you decide to earn an online Master’s in Accounting, your curriculum will equip you with the essential skills of accounting: making sure financial statements comply with laws and regulations, assessing tax law and preparing tax returns, maintaining financial records, and helping their company or client make financially-savvy moves.
How much can you earn with an Online Master’s in Accounting degree?
Since accountants are in the business of finances, it just makes sense that they’d earn an honest wage for their work. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, accountants make anywhere from $69k to $122k per year.
The range in salary breaks down by specific careers within the accounting field. For example, those in finance and insurance tend to make more than accountants working in the government. Regardless, your financial future will be secure as an accountant.
One thing you don’t have to worry about is job security – the demand for accountants is expected to rise by 10 percent between now and 2026. That means now is the perfect time to earn your degree!
What is required for an Online Master’s in Accounting degree?
During your admissions process, you’ll be weighing out a number of different factors. For example, how much time can I commit to a program? Do I want to specialize in anything? Which programs can I afford? Here are a few more requirement possibilities to consider:
- GRE or GMAT requirement
- Application fee
- Residency requirement
Ultimately, all of these programs are designed to prepare you for the Certified Public Accountant exam. Most states require 150 hours of preparation for the exam. Pay close attention to which schools offer additional tools and resources to ensure that you pass the CPA exam.
What are the best Online Master’s in Accounting degrees?
OSR uses six data points: three school-wide and three program specific. For school-wide, OSR uses Student Satisfaction, Admission Rates, and the number of programs the school offers online. For program specific, OSR checks the Median Debt of graduates from that program, how many degrees are offered within that program’s umbrella department, and what percentage of students at that school graduated from that department.
The six statistics are displayed by each school. The sliding bar under each statistic represents how that school compares to other US institutions. “Not reported” means a school did not release that information to the US Department of Education. A more detailed description of the OSR process can be found on the methodology page.
- Tuition: $35,560(in state) / $35,560(out of state)
- 63 percent of student body is international
- Accredited by AACSB International
- 98 percent of graduates are employed within 3 months
School WideStudent Satisfaction71.80%Admission Rate44%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,500Programs in Department3Popularity at School91.50%100%OSR Score
Students will earn an online MS in Accounting through the McCallum Graduate School of Business at Bentley University. This is a 36+ credit hour program that involves a fantastic variety of core classes and electives. The average accounting student here is around 23 years old; 63 percent of students are female.
Saint Leo University
- Tuition: $9,990(in state) / $9,990(out of state)
- MBA students can graduate in 1 to 5 years
- Saint Leo graduates now working for FDIC and more
- Tuition discounts for active military
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.00%Admission Rate58%Programs offered online22
Program LevelMedian Debt$35,875Programs in Department6Popularity at School28.20%89%OSR Score
Students at Saint Leo University will have two options: the online Master of Accounting or the MBA with an Accounting concentration. The first requires 30 credits while the latter requires 36 credits. Both are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs.
- Tuition: $8,217(in state) / $8,217(out of state)
- Military discount of $275 per credit hour
- Eight-week online courses with asynchronous learning
- No GMAT or GRE required
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.40%Admission Rate30%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian Debt$27,333Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School17.20%84%OSR Score
Offered 100 percent online, Liberty University presents a Master’s in Accounting degree with over seven specializations. Some of them include Audit and Financial Reporting, Financial Services, Taxation, Leadership, and more. All tracks require 30 credit hours.
Western New England University
- Tuition: $24,720(in state) / $24,720(out of state)
- Students use Kodiak as their Learning Management System
- Option to either take Forensic concentration or electives
- Students may take electives outside of accounting
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.20%Admission Rate81%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,500Programs in Department3Popularity at School36.90%81%OSR Score
The Master of Science in Accounting at Western New England University splits the curriculum into three parts: foundation courses, core courses, and electives. In total, students complete 30 credit hours. Students have the option of specializing in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Investigation.
Colorado State University-Global Campus
- Tuition: $9,000(in state) / $9,000(out of state)
- Access to CPAexcel online Gold Medal Course
- Awards for exceptional skills granted throughout program
- No tuition increases for the last 7 years
School WideStudent Satisfaction65.40%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online15
Program LevelMedian Debt$30,639Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School59.80%79%OSR Score
At Colorado State University-Global Campus, you’ll earn an online Master of Professional Accounting. This program’s goal is to prepare students to be effective Certified Public Accountants. This includes prepping them for the CPA exam. In total, students will complete 30 credits – 24 core credits and 6 elective credits.
- Tuition: $12,852(in state) / $12,852(out of state)
- Over 15 unique elective options
- Six different possible calendar start dates
- Accelerated track offered
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.60%Admission Rate60%Programs offered online25
Program LevelMedian Debt$38,426Programs in Department4Popularity at School23.80%78%OSR Score
At Regis University, students take 30 credit hours to complete the online MS in Accounting. This program includes four options for specialization: Financial Accounting, Fraud/Forensic Accounting, Managerial Accounting, IT Accounting. The curriculum covers a total of 10 classes.
- Tuition: $9,342(in state) / $28,026(out of state)
- Full-time (1 year) and part-time (2 years) pathways
- “Holistic approach” to admissions
- Online program exactly mirrors on-campus program
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.20%Admission Rate84%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,544Programs in Department3Popularity at School21.10%77%OSR Score
Auburn University offers an online Master of Accountancy that is designed for working professionals. The curriculum covers 30 credit hours and is weighted more heavily toward accounting electives than core classes. You’ll take 12 core credits and 18 elective credits.
Georgia Southern University
- Tuition: $6,636(in state) / $26,518(out of state)
- Graduate Certificates in Taxation and Forensic Accounting
- Integrated Bachelors to Masters option for GSU undergraduates
- Graduates currently working at Ernst & Young, Aprio, and more
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.80%Admission Rate68%Programs offered online3
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,464Programs in Department2Popularity at School18.70%76%OSR Score
Over the course of six semesters, students will complete the MS in Accounting at Georgia Southern University. The ten-course curriculum totals to 30 credit hours. Students take two classes per term to finish in a total of two years.
- Tuition: $17,227(in state) / $17,227(out of state)
- Interact virtually with a cohort of around 25 students
- Nearly 30 upper-level electives to choose from
- Classes offered in accelerated 5-week terms
School WideStudent Satisfaction75.00%Admission Rate68%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,319Programs in Department2Popularity at School30.50%75%OSR Score
At Stetson University, the Master of Accountancy degree draws from a number of closely related fields. The 30-credit-hour curriculum covers business, data analytics, and, of course, accounting. This is a cohort-based program that is offered completely online.
University of Connecticut
- Tuition: $14,500(in state) / $35,812(out of state)
- Advanced Business Certificate in Accounting Analytics available
- Curriculum includes MBA courses
- Asynchronous classes; synchronous exams
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.00%Admission Rate48%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,757Programs in Department2Popularity at School13.00%74%OSR Score
There are both full-time and part-time options for the online Master of Accounting program at the University of Connecticut. Regardless, students are required to complete 30 credit hours. The curriculum is composed of two core classes and eight electives.
University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Tuition: $7,866(in state) / $17,910(out of state)
- Accounting Bridge program offered to non-accounting undergraduates
- Flexible transfer credit policy in place
- Internship opportunities available
School WideStudent Satisfaction77.80%Admission Rate92%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian Debt$30,942Programs in Department3Popularity at School20.70%72%OSR Score
The online Master of Accounting at the University of Alabama at Birmingham requires 30 credit hours to complete. It draws heavily from a core curriculum of seven classes – the three remaining classes are electives. Students are able to finish in as short as 18 months.
Florida Atlantic University
- Tuition: $5,467(in state) / $16,695(out of state)
- Two additional graduate certificates offered
- Concentrations allow students to specialize
- Optional live lectures held on Saturday mornings
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.40%Admission Rate60%Programs offered online10
Program LevelMedian Debt$35,141Programs in Department3Popularity at School18.20%72%OSR Score
Florida Atlantic University uniquely offers an Executive Master of Accounting. This is a two-year online program. The degree also branches into five areas of specialization: Forensic Accounting, Forensic Analytics, Professional Accounting, Taxation, and Business Valuation.
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Tuition: $13,210(in state) / $27,834(out of state)
- Isenberg Accounting Transitions Program available
- GMAT requirement waived for Isenberg accounting students
- 10 classes in total – 6 core and 4 electives
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate58%Programs offered online9
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,500Programs in Department2Popularity at School14.70%71%OSR Score
The MS in Accounting at the University of Massachusetts Amherst is a flexible online program that encompasses 30 credits. Full-time students are able to finish the degree in just one year. The curriculum is designed to prepare students to take (and pass) the CPA exam.
Indiana Wesleyan University-National & Global
- Tuition: $10,671(in state) / $10,671(out of state)
- No application fee
- Cohort-based program
- Ability to finish degree in 18 to 26 months
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online14
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School53.00%71%OSR Score
Delivered through the DeVoe School of Business, accountant hopefuls will complete the online MS in Accounting at Indiana Wesleyan University. Though no religion classes are required, this is a faith-based curriculum. In total, you’ll complete 30 credit hours.
University of Miami
- Tuition: $35,280(in state) / $35,280(out of state)
- 16-credit Certificate in Accounting Practice available
- Optional on-campus networking events
- Wide variety of financial aid available
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.80%Admission Rate36%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$39,760Programs in Department2Popularity at School20.00%71%OSR Score
Students have a huge range of online options at the University of Miami. The Master of Professional Accounting covers 32 credits (for both accounting and non-accounting majors). Students can also take the CPA track of the Master of Professional Accounting, which covers 40 credit hours.
- Tuition: $22,058(in state) / $22,058(out of state)
- Students may start Flexible Program throughout the year
- GMAT scores can be waived for GPAs above 3.3
- Electives in business and data mining
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.40%Admission Rate67%Programs offered online4
Program LevelMedian Debt$27,288Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School33.80%70%OSR Score
Rider University offers an online Master’s of Accountancy that can be completed in one of two ways: Cohort Program or Flexible Program. Each track consists of 30 total credit hours. However the Cohort track is a set 16-month curriculum, and the Flexible track allows students to go at their own pace.
Southern Utah University
- Tuition: $7,462(in state) / $23,432(out of state)
- Nearly 100 percent job-placement rate
- Academic and career advisors available
- Three different application windows
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.20%Admission Rate76%Programs offered online5
Program LevelMedian Debt$13,125Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School8.00%70%OSR Score
Students who attend Southern Utah University’s Master of Accounting program can graduate in as little as two semesters. They can also choose to enroll in the Master of Accounting/MBA combo program. The degree accounts for 30 credit hours.
The University of Texas at Dallas
- Tuition: $12,916(in state) / $25,252(out of state)
- Over 30 elective courses to choose from
- Customizable curriculum
- Option of internship and/or additional STEM degree
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.40%Admission Rate76%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,500Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School26.20%69%OSR Score
The online MS in Accounting at the University of Texas at Dallas takes anywhere from 18 to 24 months to complete. Students partake in a minimum of 36 credit hours. The degree is designed as a “Flex Program,” which means students can go at their own pace.
University of South Dakota
- Tuition: $7,553(in state) / $14,521(out of state)
- GMAT/GRE waiver options available
- Accredited by AACSB International since 1949
- Military tuition rate nearly $200 cheaper per credit
School WideStudent Satisfaction75.80%Admission Rate87%Programs offered online8
Program LevelMedian Debt$15,043Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School11.70%69%OSR Score
Students will earn an online Master of Professional Accountancy at the University of South Dakota. This is a 30-credit-hour program that consists of seven core classes and three electives. The degree is designed to prepare students for the CPA exam.
Nova Southeastern University
- Tuition: $18,932(in state) / $18,932(out of state)
- Wide-ranging electives specific to each track
- More lenient GPA minimum requirement of 2.5
- Three optional graduate certificates available
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.60%Admission Rate58%Programs offered online8
Program LevelMedian Debt$53,632Programs in Department2Popularity at School14.70%68%OSR Score
You’ll find three concentrations through the Nova Southeastern University Master of Accounting program: Public Accounting, Management Accounting, Taxation. All of the tracks have the potential to be completed in just one year. Each requires a minimum of 33 credit hours.
George Mason University
- Tuition: $11,228(in state) / $30,932(out of state)
- One-week international residency
- Cohort-based program
- In-state tuition for VA, MD, and DC
School WideStudent Satisfaction75.40%Admission Rate81%Programs offered online3
Program LevelMedian Debt$26,903Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School17.90%67%OSR Score
At George Mason University, the total hour requirement for the Master of Science in Accounting program is 30 credits. The curriculum covers 15 credits in core courses and 15 credits in a wide selection of electives. A week-long international accounting trip is a highlight for most students.
- Tuition: $36,000(in state) / $36,000(out of state)
- Flexible and customizable curriculum
- Four start dates per year
- GMAT waiver for students with 5 years of work experience
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.60%Admission Rate47%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$32,913Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School13.60%67%OSR Score
Students at Syracuse University have two options: the 30-credit Professional Accounting degree or the 33- to 48-credit Foundational Accounting degree. Even more, students can opt into the accelerated track to finish in just 12 months. Regardless, the curriculum covers the basics of taxes, reporting, financial analysis, and more.
University of Scranton
- Tuition: $11,580(in state) / $11,580(out of state)
- MACC Bridge program for non-accounting majors
- CPAexcel® software discounted for students
- Students have up to 6 years to complete the degree
School WideStudent Satisfaction77.60%Admission Rate75%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$34,166Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School21.30%66%OSR Score
The Kania School of Management at the University of Scranton offers an online Master in Accounting. This is a 30-credit hour program that infuses the school’s Jesuit foundations into its curriculum. The program is 100 percent online; there is not an on-campus residency requirement.
Texas A & M University-Commerce
- Tuition: $3,630(in state) / $11,100(out of state)
- Only 2 required prerequisites
- Students may transfer up to 12 credits
- Accounting-specific scholarships available
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate35%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian Debt$31,757Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School13.70%66%OSR Score
Requiring 36 credit hours in total, Texas A&M University – Commerce delivers an MS in Accounting. This program can be completed either face-to-face, blended, or fully online. Full-time students tend to finish the degree in just over one year.
Pennsylvania State University-World Campus
- Tuition: $20,470(in state) / $20,470(out of state)
- Capstone course in forensic accounting
- Flat rate tuition for full-time students
- 12-credit Graduate Certificate in Accounting offered
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate67%Programs offered online42
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School24.90%66%OSR Score
At Pennsylvania State University-World Campus, students cover 30 credit hours for the Master of Professional Accounting degree. The curriculum is designed to let students feel completely prepared for the CPA exam. Courses cover case studies, investigative accounting, consulting, and more.
University of Massachusetts-Lowell
- Tuition: $14,590(in state) / $26,370(out of state)
- Students can take electives outside of accounting
- Same tuition for both in- and out-of-state students
- 24/7 online technical support
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.00%Admission Rate69%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School17.50%64%OSR Score
At the University of Massachusetts Lowell, students earn a 30-credit online MS in Accounting. Students can specialize in the following: Globalization, Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting, Forensic Accounting, Corporate Finance, and Advanced Auditing. The School of Business is accredited by AACSB International.
California Baptist University
- Tuition: $13,287(in state) / $13,287(out of state)
- Generous transfer credit policy
- Foundational classes (9 credits) in business
- No GMAT or GRE required
School WideStudent Satisfaction77.80%Admission Rate77%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School19.30%63%OSR Score
Students complete a minimum of 30 credit hours in California Baptist University’s online Masters of Science in Accounting. The degree can be completed in around 12 months. Unlike others on this list, the program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
New England College
- Tuition: $13,080(in state) / $13,080(out of state)
- GMAT and GRE not required
- Rolling admissions; start every 7 weeks
- Ability to finish the degree in less than 2 years
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.00%Admission Rate100%Programs offered online14
Program LevelMedian Debt$37,583Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School22.80%63%OSR Score
New England College requires a total of 40 credit hours to complete the online Master of Science in Accounting degree. Students will enjoy a curriculum that aims to prepare them for a number of certifications. These allow students to become internal auditors, fraud examiners, and more.
Emporia State University
- Tuition: $6,084(in state) / $18,924(out of state)
- GMAT waiver available for students with 3 years experience
- Degree can be completed in just one year
- No work experience required to apply
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.40%Admission Rate83%Programs offered online2
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department2Popularity at School15.90%60%OSR Score
Offered in an accelerated format, Emporia State University delivers a strong Master of Accountancy degree. Students take 30 credit hours, 15 of which are devoted to accounting. The rest cover foundations in business, management, information technology, and more.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Tuition: $9,943(in state) / $27,154(out of state)
- Four online start dates
- Ability to finish the degree in 12 months
- GMAT and GRE exemption waivers available
School WideStudent Satisfaction77.20%Admission Rate24%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$57,525Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School8.50%60%OSR Score
At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill students complete an online Master of Accounting degree that covers anywhere from 36 to 48 credits. It all depends on the prerequisite classes students come to the program having already completed. The online curriculum is exactly the same as the on-campus curriculum.