Learning the technical craft of writing is easy with one of the 15 most affordable online Bachelor’s of English and can have you writing like Charles Dickens or Charlotte Brontë in no time.
Have you ever wondered what you can do with an English degree? A bachelor’s degree in English is a surprisingly versatile degree that can open the door to wherever you want to go! Exploring the English language by working through a degree program may be one of those life-changing experiences that makes you view the world differently and expands your point of view.
What Is an Online Bachelor’s in English Degree?
An online Bachelor’s in English will teach you how to analyze and utilize the English language, which can be useful in a wide range of activities and careers. While pursuing this degree, you will learn the history of the English language, how to analyze and read writings critically, and how to critically think about and implement effective written communication.
Given that English is the primary language of the United States and that communication underpins everything from marketing to entertainment, earning an online Bachelor’s in English will provide you the foundation to be and do what you want in life.
How Much Can You Earn With a Bachelor’s in English Degree?
Your annual salary after completing an online Bachelor’s in English will depend on the career you choose to pursue. One of the most obvious and popular utilizations of an English degree is to become an author or writer, which typically earns just over $62,000 per year.
What Is Required for a Bachelor’s in English Degree?
One trait you should have, though it’s not necessarily required to earn an English degree, is a love for reading and writing. Other than that, most schools that offer a Bachelor’s in English require that applicants to their program have at least a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Most schools require students to submit an application packet that may or may not include an essay. If you are looking to enter into an online Bachelor’s in English program directly from high school, some schools require that you submit ACT or SAT scores, while others waive this requirement.
What Are the Most Affordable Online Bachelor’s in English?
OSR uses six data points: three school-wide and three program-specific. For school-wide, OSR uses student satisfaction, admission rates, and the number of programs the school offers online. For program-specific, OSR checks the median debt of graduates from that program, how many degrees are offered within that program’s umbrella department, and what percentage of students at that school graduated from that department.
The six statistics are displayed by each school. The sliding bar under each statistic represents how that school compares to other US institutions. “Not reported” means a school did not release that information to the US Department of Education. A more detailed description of the OSR process can be found on the methodology page.
West Virginia State University
- Tuition: $7,546(in state) / $16,550(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $7,370
- Features three annual writing contests each year
- Ranked one of the Best Bachelor’s in Writing by TheBestSchools.org
School WideStudent Satisfaction79%Admission Rate98%Programs offered online5
Program LevelMedian Debt$27,500Programs in Department1Popularity at School1.92%
West Virginia State University tops our list of the most affordable online Bachelor’s in English because of its affordable tuition and academic rigor. The school offers an online Bachelor of Arts in English with a concentration in Technical Writing. This degree will train you in writing professional technical documents within four years of starting the program.
- Tuition: $6,601(in state) / $18,432(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $7,971
- 60 credit hour program
- Can be completed in six semesters
School WideStudent Satisfaction80%Admission Rate70%Programs offered online11
Program LevelMedian Debt$22,635Programs in Department1Popularity at School2.80%
Indiana University East’s online Bachelor of Arts in English is taught by expert faculty who will impart their knowledge and expertise by providing you a first-rate education. This BA degree features a Technical and Professional Writing specialization in which students with an associate’s degree can complete their bachelor’s with only 20 additional classes. These 20 classes will take just two years to complete.
Louisiana State University-Alexandria
- Tuition: $4,984(in state) / $4,984(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $8,853
- More than 250,000 alumni of LSU Online
- Features Dedicated Learner Concierge Service
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate31%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian Debt$17,061Programs in Department1Popularity at School4.17%
Clear writing is an essential skill in any career, and LSU-Alexandria has realized this by creating a program that teaches writing, editing, copywriting, critical thinking, time management, and more. Take advantage of everything this school has to offer, including accelerated seven-week classes with affordable tuition of only $291 per credit hour. The BA in English from this university can be completed in one year if you bring in the maximum number of transfer credits.
University of Maine at Presque Isle
- Tuition: $6,840(in state) / $10,950(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $9,647
- Top 5 Most Innovative Schools for regional colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report
- Four-year program
School WideStudent Satisfaction78%Admission Rate95%Programs offered online4
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School3.35%
The University of Maine at Presque Isle gives you the blueprint to your success and a step-by-step guide to help you finish your BA in English in four years. You’ll take English classes from the very first semester of this program to the last, allowing you to dive deep into the subject. To complete the degree in four years, you’ll have to take around 16 credit hours per semester, which is around five classes.
Clayton State University
- Tuition: $3,965(in state) / $14,426(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $10,232
- Various internships in print and digital media available
- Offers mentoring opportunities with faculty
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate42%Programs offered online8
Program LevelMedian Debt$31,095Programs in Department1Popularity at School1.61%
The online BA in English from Clayton State University features the same curriculum taught to on-campus students. Students in the online program are required to create a writing portfolio at the end of their first year of study that will aid them in finishing their capstone project needed for graduation. CSU will even consider publishing your writing in its textbooks during your first year.
Dickinson State University
- Tuition: $5,344(in state) / $8,016(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $11,390
- No. 1 Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees by Affordable Colleges Online
- Features Literature and Creative Writing tracks
School WideStudent Satisfaction68%Admission Rate99%Programs offered online22
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School1.24%
When pursuing an online BA in English that emphasizes creative writing, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better school than Dickinson State University. This degree will teach you to create an original literary argument and piece of literature. The degree will also expose you to a wide variety of writings from British, American, and international writers.
Nicholls State University
- Tuition: $4,922(in state) / $6,015(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $11,896
- Features small class sizes taught by highly-qualified professors
- No. 13 Best Online Bachelor’s in Writing by TheBestSchools.org
School WideStudent Satisfaction77%Admission Rate94%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian Debt$24,898Programs in Department1Popularity at School< 1%
You may want to give Nicholls State University your undivided attention if you want to pursue a BA in English with a concentration in Film Studies. The degree is designed to teach students to write content for television and film. The school requires an online orientation course to acclimate students to the learning platform to ensure a smooth transition into your English degree.
Arizona State University
- Tuition: $8,597(in state) / $18,187(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $11,916
- No.1 Most Innovative University in the U.S. 2020 by U.S. News & World Report
- Liberal Arts College is home to Fulbright American Scholars, MacArthur Fellows, and Nobel laureates
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate63%Programs offered online45
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department2Popularity at School4.26%
The English department is the largest and most diverse unit at ASU, which speaks volumes for a school ranked as the most innovative in the nation. As an online student, you’ll be taught by the same experienced faculty who teach at ASU’s physical location. Innovate and flex your literary and creative muscles by attending ASU for your BA in English degree.
University of Illinois at Springfield
- Tuition: $9,515(in state) / $16,117(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $12,054
- Ranked among the Top 10 Public Regional Universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report
- Features English Honors program
- Four English department scholarships available
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission Rate52%Programs offered online11
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,344Programs in Department1Popularity at School4.40%
The University of Illinois at Springfield is a school that will give you the tools to excel in a wide variety of careers through the use of the information you will learn in the BA in English. The school also has an Honors program for English majors that requires students to maintain a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.6 GPA in English. Additionally, the Honors program requires that students apply for the program, but all this extra work may pay off when it comes time to look for a job.
- Tuition: $7,584(in state) / $15,168(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $12,146
- Listed as one of the best schools in the Southeast by The Princeton Review
- 120 credit hour program
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate88%Programs offered online18
Program LevelMedian Debt$28,046Programs in Department1Popularity at School1.22%
Read and explore “The Iliad,” the Greek epic that recounts the siege of Troy, at Troy University. Unlike many of the other schools reviewed thus far, this university offers a Bachelor of Science in English degree. The English major consists of 36 credit hours, while the minor in English consists of 18 credit hours.
Great Basin College
- Tuition: $2,820(in state) / $9,598(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $12,230
- Regionally accredited by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Offers degree-completion programs for transfer students with associate’s degrees
School WideStudent Satisfaction75%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School< 1%
Whether you decide to pursue an Associate’s in English or a Bachelor of Arts in English, at Great Basin College you’ll learn the foundations of the English language. The bachelor’s degree will make you more attractive to employers and provide you with a deeper understanding of literary analysis. Students admitted into the BA in English are required to maintain at least a 2.5 GPA to remain in the program.
Western New Mexico University
- Tuition: $3,927(in state) / $11,400(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $12,500
- Two concentrations available in Literature and Writing
- Features options to major or minor in English
School WideStudent Satisfaction79%Programs offered online13
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School1.64%
Part of earning a BA in English is exploring past and present issues through analyzing writings that span wide swaths of time. The English degree from Western New Mexico University emphasizes critical thinking and the creation of original written work. The university also offers a Bachelor of Science in English, which may be more suited for students wanting to explore scientific fields while studying the English language.
Granite State College
- Tuition: $7,368(in state) / $8,280(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $12,905
- Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) accredited program
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
School WideStudent Satisfaction59%Programs offered online32
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School< 1%
If you live in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Vermont and want to become a teacher of English, then you should give Granite State College a look. While earning your BA in English, you can also prepare for your future by enrolling in the school’s teacher-certification option. The school has three certification options available: Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary Education and General Special Education, and General Special Education.
University of Memphis
- Tuition: $7,680(in state) / $19,392(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $13,663
- Ranked No.52 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree by U.S. News & World Report
- No. 6 Best Online Bachelor’s in Creative Writing by BestCollegeReviews.org
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate85%Programs offered online18
Program LevelMedian Debt$26,206Programs in Department1Popularity at School2.21%
The University of Memphis understands that you have a busy life with a lot of responsibilities, which is why the school works with its online students to help them reach their goals. With a BA in English from U of M, you can choose between concentrations in African American Literature or Professional Writing. Both concentrations consist of 120 credit hours, 27 of which must be in the English major.
University of Maryland Global Campus
- Tuition: $6936(in state) / $11,976(out of state)
- Tuition Net Price: $15,256
- Ranked among the Best Online Colleges in Maryland by GuideToOnlineSchools.com
- No. 1 Best College 2018, Online & Nontraditional Schools by Military Times
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Programs offered online31
Program LevelMedian Debt$25,730Programs in Department1Popularity at School1.53%
At the University of Maryland Global Campus, English is more than a degree; participate in this school’s English and Humanities Club, which will allow you to put in the extra time to polish your writing skills. You’ll be able to explore different types of writing, ranging from poetry to Postmodern American literature. While working toward your bachelor’s degree, you will complete general education requirements and 33 credit hours in the English major.