Want to prove that you’re an expert in investing? Start by investing in your future with an online Bachelor’s in Finance.
In the world of business, financial savviness is one of the most lucrative and useful skills out there. The word “finance” can be used as an umbrella term that houses everything from personal financial planning to real estate to investment banking . . . and beyond!
If you have a mind for numbers and a personality for the fast-paced, social nature of business, then getting an online Bachelor’s in Finance might be a perfect first step.
What is an Online Bachelor’s degree in Finance?
Most simply stated, by earning an online Bachelor’s in Finance degree, you’re going to eventually find yourself in a leadership role. Financial health is at the heart of any good business, marriage . . . or government, for that matter!
Based on the somewhat wide-ranging definition of “finance,” this degree could land you in a number of different places. Here’s a look at a few of the most common avenues for Finance majors:
- Financial Manager
- Budget Analyst
- Personal Financial Advisor
Maybe those careers seem like variations on a theme. You’re not wrong! But each of these careers fit into very specific camps: private sector, business sector, and so on. Regardless, you will be directing and guiding financial decisions, analyzing trends, and planning for the future!
How much can you earn with an Online Bachelor’s degree in Finance?
Trust us, there’s money in finance. According to the Bureau for Labor Statistics, Financial Managers make an average of $125,000 per year. The highest 10 percent, however, earn closer to $200k annually. Personal financial advisors tend to make somewhat less than financial managers. But not by much! Their annual figures are around $91k to $200k per year.
Even more, it looks like careers in the financial industry are only going to increase in demand. Between now and 2026, we’ll see an impressive 15-19 percent uptick in financial careers. That means it’ll be easy to find a job and get paid well!
What is required for an Online Bachelor’s degree in Finance?
Online learning has made the college application process way less daunting. Online classes can be completed on your time and your terms. You’ll be able to get started on your degree whenever you have your grades and attitude in order! Here’s the short list of what you’ll need to get started:
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Average GPA of at least 2.0
- Online application
- Application fee (though sometimes it is waived)
Once you’re accepted, the online degree will likely cover 120 to 180 credit hours. That number might be lower if you’re a transfer student coming in with some classes already completed. Just read the fine print and you’ll be on your way!
What are the best Online Bachelor’s degrees in Finance?
OSR uses six data points: three school-wide and three program specific. For school-wide, OSR uses Student Satisfaction, Admission Rates, and the number of programs the school offers online. For program specific, OSR checks the Median Debt of graduates from that program, how many degrees are offered within that program’s umbrella department, and what percentage of students at that school graduated from that department.
The six statistics are displayed by each school. The sliding bar under each statistic represents how that school compares to other US institutions. “Not reported” means a school did not release that information to the US Department of Education. A more detailed description of the OSR process can be found on the methodology page.
Franklin University20-Year ROI$960,502
- Tuition: $12,216(in state) / $12,216(out of state)
- Hands-on learning and simulations included
- Curriculum includes up to 40 hours of electives
- Over three different start date options
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online32
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,951Programs in Department14Popularity at School69.67%100%OSR Score
You’ll join over 80 percent of the student body in online learning through the BS in Financial Management at Franklin University. This program is transfer-friendly and flexible. The 124-credit-hour curriculum covers portfolio management, financial analysis, and includes a final internship.
New England College of Business and Finance
- Tuition: $11,640(in state) / $11,640(out of state)
- Allows up to 75% of prior credits to transfer
- Degree completion option available
- 12 credits allocated to business electives
School WideStudent Satisfaction83%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online3
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School100.00%90%OSR Score
Delivered through a school specifically geared toward all things business, students will earn an online BSBA in Banking and Finance. This curriculum takes the core concepts in business and applies them in a specialized setting. Course topics include Consumer Credit, Investment Management, and more.
Southern New Hampshire University20-Year ROI$882,666
- Tuition: $30,756(in state) / $30,756(out of state)
- BS to MS pathway (6 graduate credits available)
- No application fee
- 30% tuition discount for military (part-time and full-time)
School WideStudent Satisfaction75%Admission Rate78%Programs offered online43
Program LevelMedian Debt$17,943Programs in Department12Popularity at School31.81%90%OSR Score
Southern New Hampshire University is a leader in online learning; that’s no different for its BS in Finance degree. This program offers an additional specialty track in Financial Planning, as well as an accelerated BS to MS track. This curriculum sets high standards, and is a CFP Board-registered program.
National University20-Year ROI$1,183,483
- Tuition: $13,032(in state) / $13,032(out of state)
- Curriculum divided into 4-week courses
- Applications accepted year-round
- Yellow Ribbon school with military tuition discounts
School WideStudent Satisfaction71%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online46
Program LevelMedian Debt$29,403Programs in Department9Popularity at School24.66%83%OSR Score
Giving both the macro and micro elements of the business world, National University offers an online BS in Financial Management. National University uses an accelerated model, which offers classes one at a time in month-long segments. Courses are specifically designed for adult learners.
University of Maryland-University College
- Tuition: $6,936(in state) / $11,976(out of state)
- Flat-rate $250/credit hour military tuition rate
- Federal employees get 25% tuition discount
- Accounting and Finance Forum student club
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online31
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,508Programs in Department7Popularity at School31.93%82%OSR Score
At the University of Maryland University College, you’ll earn an online BS in Finance. This practical curriculum is specifically CFP Board-approved, which ensures that students will graduate with the skills to pass the certification. The final requirement culminates in a case study of a real company.
Post University20-Year ROI$812,667
- Tuition: $15,258(in state) / $15,258(out of state)
- Preparation for Series 6 and 7 exams
- Specialized, career-driven tracks within major
- Involved support staff to give career and academic support
School WideStudent Satisfaction80%Admission Rate63%Programs offered online17
Program LevelMedian Debt$25,330Programs in Department5Popularity at School62.74%81%OSR Score
Created specifically for adult learners, Post University offers a BS in Finance with an impressive suite of concentrations: General Finance, Corporate Finance, Financial Planning & Analysis, Financial Services & Banking, and Personal Financial Planning. Each track encompasses nine credits within the 120 total.
Florida International University
- Tuition: $4,721(in state) / $16,529(out of state)
- Relatively low tuition costs (for in-state students)
- Each student paired with online success coach
- Thorough business curriculum (60 credits)
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate54%Programs offered online26
Program LevelMedian Debt$19,692Programs in Department7Popularity at School24.63%81%OSR Score
You’ll earn a Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance at Florida International University. This fully online degree prepares students in all the finance core areas: investments, portfolio management, risk management, banking, and more. In total, students will take 120 credit hours.
Davenport University20-Year ROI$606,885
- Tuition: $16,728(in state) / $16,728(out of state)
- Financial Planning speciality option
- Business core courses available in first term
- Military experience can count toward credits
School WideStudent Satisfaction69%Admission Rate82%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,786Programs in Department9Popularity at School50.57%81%OSR Score
Davenport University delivers an online BBA in Finance, but also offers a unique specialty option in Financial Planning. The curriculum gives students lots of wiggle room to customize their degree. For example, they have three options for their capstone course — an internship, field experience, or capstone class.
Granite State College
- Tuition: $7,368(in state) / $8,280(out of state)
- Transfer-friendly (84% of students are transfers)
- Classes offered in a variety of formats
- Most affordable 4-year college in New Hampshire
School WideStudent Satisfaction59%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online32
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department7Popularity at School24.43%80%OSR Score
New Hampshire’s Granite State College takes a unique approach through its online BS in Accounting and Finance. This degree ultimately prepares you for a wider range of career options. The 120-credit-hour curriculum gets you ready to pass the CPA exam with flying colors.
Colorado Technical University-Colorado Springs20-Year ROI$841,408
- Tuition: $11,315(in state) / $11,315(out of state)
- CTU Fast Track option to test out of material
- Fast (and free!) online application process
- CTU frequently listed among Best Online Bachelor’s by US News
School WideStudent Satisfaction77%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online18
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department6Popularity at School53.70%80%OSR Score
The BS in Business Administration at CTU Colorado Springs features a specialty track in Finance. This is a flexible online degree that allows you to work at your own pace through the CTU Fast Track. However, students also work through more material through 180 total credits.
Columbia College20-Year ROI$755,005
- Tuition: $8,712(in state) / $8,712(out of state)
- Online student orientation provided
- Flat-rate tuition for all online students
- Yellow Ribbon benefits offered to military students
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online23
Program LevelMedian Debt$27,373Programs in Department9Popularity at School27.15%79%OSR Score
Columbia College features a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Finance that can be completed fully online. The curriculum takes a more generalist approach, with less core courses specific to finance. Overall, however, students will take over 70 courses in business core and electives.
University of Minnesota-Crookston
- Tuition: $10,282(in state) / $10,282(out of state)
- Flexible format offerings (online and in-person)
- Flat-rate tuition for all online students
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program available
School WideStudent Satisfaction72%Admission Rate69%Programs offered online13
Program LevelMedian Debt$21,832Programs in Department9Popularity at School40.05%79%OSR Score
UM Crookston offers students an online, 120-credit-hour BS in Finance. This degree is highly flexible, being offered either online or in person. In addition to general education courses, students will take 22 business core credits and 40 credits specific to finance.
Upper Iowa University20-Year ROI$847,992
- Tuition: $28,850(in state) / $28,850(out of state)
- Designed in focused 8-week courses
- Two different finance options (BSBA or BS)
- Online undergraduate programs ranked best in Iowa
School WideStudent Satisfaction64%Admission Rate56%Programs offered online22
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,330Programs in Department7Popularity at School37.60%78%OSR Score
Upper Iowa University is an innovator in the world of online education through its BS in Bachelor Administration. Offered both via asynchronous coursework and self-paced study, students can specialize in a Finance track. This track incorporates five courses out of the total 120 credits. Alternately, you can complete a BS in Financial Management.
Pennsylvania State University-World Campus
- Tuition: $13,484(in state) / $13,484(out of state)
- Out-of-state tuition only $40 more than in-state
- Accepted as a CFA Institute University Affiliation Program
- Features an interdisciplinary curriculum
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate67%Programs offered online42
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department7Popularity at School24.94%77%OSR Score
Penn State-World Campus offers a world-class BS in Finance. The curriculum is decidedly practical in its nature, preparing students for CFA and CFP certifications. Within the 120-credit-hour program, you’ll find classes that cover business, accounting, economics, and more.
University of Florida-Online
- Tuition: $3,358(in state) / $15,000(out of state)
- Virtual information sessions frequently available
- Named a Forbes “Best Value College” in 2017
- Lower than average fees for full-time online students
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate68%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School56.85%76%OSR Score
You’ll earn an online BS or BA in Business Administration at the University of Florida. While this program does not specifically deliver a finance specialization, the coursework covers all of the essential areas: Business Finance, Real Estate Analysis, Equity and Capital Markets, and more. You’ll complete 120 credits in order to graduate.
Liberty University20-Year ROI$718,609
- Tuition: $15,734(in state) / $15,734(out of state)
- Tuition rates have not increased in 3 years
- Up to 75% of prior credits can be transferred
- Accelerated 8-week course segments
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission Rate30%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department4Popularity at School17.21%76%OSR Score
Designed in 8-week course segments, you can complete your online BS in Business Administration in just 3.5 years at Liberty University. The degree also provides a specific Finance track. You can treat this program as either a degree completion or a full 120-credit degree.
American InterContinental University20-Year ROI$745,842
- Tuition: $10,602(in state) / $10,602(out of state)
- Program open to both full-time and part-time students
- 45% tuition discount to active military students
- Up to 75% of credits can be transferred
School WideStudent Satisfaction79%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online6
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department2Popularity at School70.94%76%OSR Score
The online BBA in Finance at American InterContinental University focuses in on three areas in particular: Investment, Financial Analysis, and Capital Planning. The curriculum totals 180 credits by covering a large business core sequence, and specialized finance coursework.
Metropolitan State University
- Tuition: $6,826(in state) / $13,927(out of state)
- Generous allocation to finance electives (16 credits)
- Flat-rate per credit tuition for all online students
- Low fee rates (e.g., $9 technology fee per credit)
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission Rate56%Programs offered online8
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,112Programs in Department6Popularity at School32.54%75%OSR Score
The BS in Finance at Metropolitan State University offers both flexibility and precision. Courses can be completed fully online, on-campus, or through a hybrid model. The 120-credit-hour program includes a set business core sequence, as well as finance courses and electives.
University of Houston-Downtown
- Tuition: $4,996(in state) / $14,616(out of state)
- Accommodating curricula for all students
- Easy transfer process from area community colleges
- Six different possible admission seasons
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate84%Programs offered online13
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,724Programs in Department8Popularity at School33.90%75%OSR Score
The University of Houston has created an online BBA in Finance program that is catered specifically to the three certification exams: CFP, CFA, and CTP. Depending on their situation, students can choose from three different degree completion plans. All include a 120-credit curriculum.
Thomas Edison State University
- Tuition: $7,300(in state) / $9,820(out of state)
- Generous transfer credit policy (80-117 credits)
- Option to pay tuition in full or pay per credit
- Curriculum covers essential core business areas
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online18
Program LevelMedian Debt$21,103Programs in Department7Popularity at School14.24%75%OSR Score
Thomas Edison State University takes a three-pronged approach to its online BS in Business Administration Finance degree: investments, financial markets, and financial management. The degree covers 120 total credit hours, and culminates in a Strategic Management course.
Regis University20-Year ROI$1,120,155
- Tuition: $35,260(in state) / $35,260(out of state)
- Access to Becker-CPA Exam Review courses
- Dual-degree (BS and MBA) options available
- Degree offered as a hybrid program if needed
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate60%Programs offered online25
Program LevelMedian Debt$31,864Programs in Department8Popularity at School23.79%75%OSR Score
Though based in Denver, Regis University offers an online BS in Finance that can be completed from anywhere in the world. The curriculum includes 120 credit hours, with the option to minor in a related field. This degree prepares graduates for numerous certifications, including the CPA exam.
Indiana Institute of Technology20-Year ROI$842,763
- Tuition: $25,940(in state) / $25,940(out of state)
- Not many additional online fees
- Shorter, accelerated course segments
- Flat-rate tuition for all online students
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate76%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School56.60%73%OSR Score
Included among the nine concentration tracks of the online Business Administration degree, you’ll find Financial Services. The classes are offered in shorter five- or six-week segments. Along with the general business core classes, you’ll also take eight classes specific to finance.
Dickinson State University
- Tuition: $5,344(in state) / $8,016(out of state)
- Flat-rate tuition regardless of residency
- Over 90 credits devoted to business and finance
- Honors programs and scholarships available
School WideStudent Satisfaction68%Admission Rate99%Programs offered online22
Program LevelMedian Debt$17,308Programs in Department6Popularity at School26.03%71%OSR Score
North Dakota’s Dickinson State University delivers a BS in Finance that can be completed either on-campus or online. Over 120-credit-hours, students will piece together business core classes, finance core classes, and business electives. Courses will include everything from accounting to economics to international business.
Purdue University Global-Davenport Campus20-Year ROI$671,223
- Tuition: $13,356(in state) / $13,356(out of state)
- International students can receive 25% tuition discount
- Accelerated BS to MS program offered
- $165 tuition rate per credit for active military
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online34
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department4Popularity at School16.03%70%OSR Score
Purdue University Global offers a BS in Finance that allows you to go even further into the field through concentrations: Accelerated MS in Finance transition program, General Finance, Investments, Real Estate, and Wealth Management. The degree covers 180 credits in total.
Missouri State University-Springfield
- Tuition: $6,300(in state) / $13,740(out of state)
- Option of specializing in Finance or Financial Planning
- Curriculum guided by CFP Certification requirements
- Finance-specific scholarships available
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate84%Programs offered online24
Program LevelMedian Debt$21,286Programs in Department5Popularity at School28.86%70%OSR Score
You’ll have two track options through the undergraduate finance program at Missouri State: Finance and Financial Planning. Both options are traditionally designed as a four-year program. Beyond the given general education and business core requirements, students will take 32-33 credit hours in finance.
University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Tuition: $8,328(in state) / $19,032(out of state)
- UAB ranked as one of the Best Online Bachelor’s programs
- Scholarships available to qualified students
- 24/7 tech support for online students
School WideStudent Satisfaction78%Admission Rate92%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian Debt$26,351Programs in Department8Popularity at School20.72%69%OSR Score
Offered through the Collat School of Business, UAB delivers an online BS in Finance. The online curriculum focuses on four core areas: Financial Analysis, Investment Services, Corporate Finance, and Real Estate. The program is led by world-renowned faculty.
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Tuition: $15,030(in state) / $33,096(out of state)
- Option to get involved in professional organizations
- Same tuition rate for in- and out-of-state students
- Named #15 Best Undergraduate Business School in 2017
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate58%Programs offered online9
Program LevelMedian Debt$21,187Programs in Department6Popularity at School14.65%68%OSR Score
Offered through the reputable Isenberg School of Management, you’ll earn an online BBA in Finance that looks identical to an on-campus one. The curriculum incorporates the Isenberg core, breadth requirements, and major courses, totaling 120 credit hours.
- Tuition: $6,601(in state) / $18,432(out of state)
- 1-year long degree completion program
- Tuition assistance options for military/veterans
- Online Honors Program available
School WideStudent Satisfaction80%Admission Rate70%Programs offered online11
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School24.81%67%OSR Score
Designed as a degree completion program, Indiana University – East offers a BS in Business Administration with the option to specialize in Finance. The program includes 19 courses in total, though the specialty tracks include additional coursework. The degree can be completed in just one year.
University of Memphis
- Tuition: $7,680(in state) / $19,392(out of state)
- Only AACSB-accredited program in Memphis
- Curriculum prepares students for CFA and CFP exams
- Online out-of-state students receive reduced eRate
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate85%Programs offered online18
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,935Programs in Department4Popularity at School19.86%67%OSR Score
The University of Memphis Global hosts an online Bachelor’s of Business Administration in Finance. This is a 120-credit-hour program that equips students with the basic tools and theories of finance. The major includes 24 credit hours of targeted coursework in business finance.
Old Dominion University
- Tuition: $6,630(in state) / $23,955(out of state)
- Guaranteed Admission program for VA transfers
- Active-duty military students get discounted rate
- MBA early entry option available
School WideStudent Satisfaction75%Admission Rate86%Programs offered online19
Program LevelMedian Debt$23,717Programs in Department5Popularity at School15.41%67%OSR Score
Old Dominion University corners the market as the best online Bachelor’s in Finance in the nation. The full program takes 120 credit hours to complete; however, the Finance major encompasses just 30 credits. The coursework covers both essential business core and finance electives.