Interested in science and psychology but want to dig a little deeper? Check out the Best Online Bachelor’s in Forensic Psychology Degrees today!
Forensic psychologists are most commonly licensed psychologists who specialize in applying psychological knowledge to legal matters, both in the criminal and civil arenas. A good forensic psychologist combines a strong science background with solid investigatory skills. Critical thinking and strong writing skills are also a must, as they take many notes during evaluations and compile official reports for court trials.
What is a Forensic Psychology degree?
This bachelor’s degree trains students to analyze cases and provide expert psychological insight to those working within the court system. You’ll study both the intricacies of the law the human mind so that you can work to conduct research on criminal behavior after graduating.
A Forensic Psychology degree can train you to become an expert witness, a detective, a trial consultant, an experimental forensic psychologist, and much more.
Most undergraduate programs are between 120-180 credit hours, accounting for over 30 classes of online learning experience. Depending on the school, you might enroll as a full-time or part-time student.
How much can you earn with a Forensic Psychology degree?
Forensic psychologists often work for the government, a university, a police department, or they may choose to open a private practice. PayScale.com lists the salary range of forensic psychologists as $39,000 to over $102,000. As of August 2018, the average pay for a Forensic Psychologist is over $62,000 annually.
Of course, career length and the location in which you work are huge factors when it comes to salaries in this field. The outlook for jobs in this field is great. In fact, the demand for forensic psychologists is projected to increase 17 percent by 2026!
What is required for a Forensic Psychology degree?
Requirements will vary depending upon what type of program you’re applying to. For an undergraduate degree, you won’t need to have any prior experience in the field. All you’ll need is a high school diploma or GRE to gain acceptance.
Most programs integrate a general studies curriculum along with courses that are more tailored to forensic psychology. Several of the below programs also require a capstone project and/or internship component.
What are the best Forensic Psychology degrees?
OSR uses six data points: three school-wide and three program specific. For school-wide, OSR uses Student Satisfaction, Admission Rates, and the number of programs the school offers online. For program specific, OSR checks the Median Debt of graduates from that program, how many degrees are offered within that program’s umbrella department, and what percentage of students at that school graduated from that department.
The six statistics are displayed by each school. The sliding bar under each statistic represents how that school compares to other US institutions. “Not reported” means a school did not release that information to the US Department of Education. A more detailed description of the OSR process can be found on the methodology page.
Liberty University20-Year ROI$718,609
- Tuition: $15,734(in state) / $15,734(out of state)
- There is no upfront application fee.
- Military members can receive a $250 discount per credit hour.
- Students may use life experiences to earn more credit through Liberty.
School WideStudent Satisfaction73%Admission Rate30%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School17.13%100%OSR Score
Liberty University offers a completely online Bachelor of Science in Psychology – Criminal Psychology degree through its School of Behavioral Sciences. This 120 credit hour program boasts a comprehensive curriculum with no set login times for online students. This degree can be completed in just 3.5 years and Liberty offers eight different start dates each year.
Florida Institute of Technology-Online
- Tuition: $12,240(in state) / $12,240(out of state)
- There is no application fee.
- Students have access to Florida Tech’s Evans Library online.
- You can pursue a profession as a criminologist, case manager, and more.
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online11
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School20.92%93%OSR Score
Florida Tech now offers a completely online Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology with a Concentration in Forensic Psychology. This program emphasizes how forensic psychologists work with law enforcement and the legal system. Students must complete 121 credit hours to earn their degree.
Southern New Hampshire University20-Year ROI$882,666
- Tuition: $30,756(in state) / $30,756(out of state)
- SNHU does not charge an application fee.
- Students can attend classes at their own convenience with 24/7 access.
- There is a 30 percent tuition discount for U.S. service members and their spouses.
School WideStudent Satisfaction75%Admission Rate78%Programs offered online43
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School9.44%90%OSR Score
Southern New Hampshire University offers a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a concentration in Forensic Psychology. This 120 credit hour program boasts a comprehensive curriculum, complete with a solid liberal arts foundation. Additionally, SNHU’s online Psychology Club helps students tap into a nationwide network of alumni for internship and career opportunities.
Faulkner University20-Year ROI$699,817
- Tuition: $19,160(in state) / $19,160(out of state)
- You do not need to visit campus at anytime.
- One of the least expensive schools on this list.
- Military Qualified Students pay just $250 per semester hour.
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate51%Programs offered online9
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department5Popularity at School1.72%88%OSR Score
Faulkner University offers a completely online 121-credit Bachelor of Science degree in Forensic Psychology. With well-qualified instructors in the fields of psychology and criminal justice, online students will receive personalized attention and genuine care. Students will be prepared for careers as expert witnesses, trial consultants, forensic psychology researchers, and more.
Northwest Christian University20-Year ROI$855,422
- Tuition: $28,500(in state) / $28,500(out of state)
- NCU does not charge an application or technology fee.
- Six start dates offered per year with 24/7 access to courses.
- Boasts a 17:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of just 16.
School WideStudent Satisfaction82%Admission Rate69%Programs offered online8
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School15.15%87%OSR Score
This online Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a concentration in Forensic Psychology can be completed all online or as a hybrid with face-to-face courses. While this program doesn’t provide licensure, it prepares students for careers in law enforcement, corrections, courts, victims advocacy, research, and more. Both flexible and affordable, students can earn up to 30 credits for college-level learning gained from life and work experiences.
New England College20-Year ROI$742,476
- Tuition: $23,599(in state) / $23,599(out of state)
- NEC offers seven different start dates each year.
- NEC allows you to transfer up to 90 credits toward your BA/BS.
- No fees or standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) are required for admission.
School WideStudent Satisfaction76%Admission Rate100%Programs offered online14
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department2Popularity at School11.39%79%OSR Score
The New England College of Business and Finance offers a completely online Bachelor of Arts in Psychology degree with an optional concentration in Forensic Psychology. This 120-credit program features a variety of courses, including Forensic Psychology, Criminal Investigations, and Victimology. Graduates of this program often go on to pursue careers as Detectives, Substance Abuse Counselors, Crime Scene Investigators, and more.
Union Institute & University20-Year ROI$844,062
- Tuition: $12,720(in state) / $12,720(out of state)
- Classes start every 8 weeks.
- This program can be completed full-time or part-time.
- Offers unique capstone portfolio course in forensic psychology.
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission RateNot ReportedPrograms offered online14
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School1.62%73%OSR Score
This 120-credit online Bachelor of Arts in Psychology program prepares students for a variety of careers in the mental health and human services fields. Additionally, students may choose from one of three concentrations including Forensic Psychology, Holistic Studies, and Addictions Studies. Union’s flexibility allows students to work and study at their own pace.
Eastern Kentucky University
- Tuition: $8,996(in state) / $18,774(out of state)
- You do not need to visit campus at any time.
- EKU Online tuition is a flat rate, regardless of residential status.
- Provides unique opportunities for joint student-faculty research.
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate87%Programs offered online17
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School5.02%71%OSR Score
The university’s College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences offers a 100 percent online bachelor’s degree in psychology with a concentration in forensic psychology. This program requires students to complete 120 credit hours. With short eight-week terms, students have the flexibility to study any time, from anywhere in the world.
Purdue University-Main Campus
- Tuition: $9,208(in state) / $28,010(out of state)
- Purdue Global offers multiple start dates.
- You do not need to visit campus at any time.
- You may take courses for a 3-week intro period with no financial obligation.
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate57%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School2.23%65%OSR Score
Purdue University offers a completely online Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Forensic Psychology. Each class lasts ten weeks and students must complete 180 credits to earn their degree. Through Purdue’s Global Tuition Cap program, your tuition will be capped to ensure that you only pay a fixed amount for your education.
Arizona State University-Tempe
- Tuition: $10,104(in state) / $26,684(out of state)
- ASU is a top-tier research university.
- ASU Online tuition is a flat rate, regardless of residential status.
- Ranked the fourth best online undergraduate degree program in the nation.
School WideStudent Satisfaction74%Admission Rate84%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$20,885Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School4.39%62%OSR Score
ASU’s New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences offers a completely online 120-credit Bachelor of Science in Forensic Psychology. Students will take 39 classes, including two additional lab courses and advanced statistical training. Each 7.5 week class will prepare you for careers involving psychological research, clinical research, and legal policy research.