Take your financial investment skills to the big leagues. Earn an online Master’s in Finance at one of the best schools in the nation.
A bachelor’s degree can only get you so far in business. If you’re serious about stepping up your game and rising to the top of the heap in finance, then a master’s degree is the obvious next step.
An online Master’s in Finance will allow you to balance school and work at the same time. You’ll be ready for a promotion the day you graduate. In a job that is preoccupied with good investments, why not start with this one?
What is an Online Master’s degree in Finance?
The world of finance is full of lots of abbreviations: CPA, CFA, MBA . . . the list goes on. So what do all of these letters mean? Well, in short, they signify end-goal careers for folks in finance.
Most of the programs on this list are MBA programs, meaning a Master in Business Administration. This indicates that you want to jump head first into hands-on business practices. You’ll study foundational business theory, capital markets, investment tactics, and more.
CPA (Certified Public Accountant) and CFA (Certified Financial Analyst) are two common certifications that students can earn after they graduate. Most programs orient their curriculum around preparing students for these exams. Graduates of the programs below go on to become Chief Financial Advisors, Financial Managers, Accountants, and more.
How much can you earn with an Online Master’s degree in Finance?
A career in finance is a financial win. That’s no surprise, though. No matter how you slice it, an online Master’s in Finance degree will yield a good-looking paycheck each month.
Based on the figures at the Bureau for Labor Statistics, Financial Managers make an average of $125,000 per year. Payscale reports that Portfolio Managers make around $103,000 annually and Chief Financial Officers make upwards of $172,000.
The numbers also look good for a future in finance. According to market demand, careers in finance will increase by 15-19 percent in the next seven years. You’ll find job security and financial security in one fell swoop!
What is required for an Online Master’s in Finance degree?
The admissions process for an online Master’s in Finance can look different for every program. But they all follow a similar requirement list. You should anticipate checking off the following boxes:
- Undergraduate degree in business
- GMAT or GRE exam scores
- Application (and associated fee)
- Recommendation letters
Once you’re accepted into a program (your first choice, hopefully!), you’ll spend the next 12 to 24 months taking online classes. The credit hour requirements range from 30 to 55 credits. Some programs allow to you specialize within finance, while others are more general. Choose whichever program fits your needs!
What are the best Online Master’s degrees in Finance?
OSR uses six data points: three school-wide and three program specific. For school-wide, OSR uses Student Satisfaction, Admission Rates, and the number of programs the school offers online. For program specific, OSR checks the Median Debt of graduates from that program, how many degrees are offered within that program’s umbrella department, and what percentage of students at that school graduated from that department.
The six statistics are displayed by each school. The sliding bar under each statistic represents how that school compares to other US institutions. “Not reported” means a school did not release that information to the US Department of Education. A more detailed description of the OSR process can be found on the methodology page.
- Tuition: $50,980(in state) / $50,980(out of state)
- Career-specific specialty tracks offered
- 2 graduate-level scholarships available
- Some major courses crosslist to a graduate certificate
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.60%Admission Rate25%Programs offered online2
Program LevelMedian Debt$37,988Programs in Department8Popularity at School22.80%100%OSR Score
The online MS in Financial Management degree at Boston University features two pathways: Investment Finance and Investment Analysis. In addition, students can add on any of 10 graduate certificates specific to finance. The core program consists of 40 total credits.
City University of Seattle
- Tuition: $15,264(in state) / $15,264(out of state)
- Language-assisted MBA for non English speakers
- Numerous course platform options (hybrid, weekend, etc)
- No GMAT requirement
School WideStudent Satisfaction68.60%Programs offered online17
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School65.90%93%OSR Score
City University of Seattle presents an online MBA program. The Finance emphasis is just one of 10 concentration tracks available to students. Beyond the business core, students will take one core finance course (Equity Markets and Debt Instrument Management) then three finance electives.
- Tuition: $12,330(in state) / $12,330(out of state)
- Track available to fulfill missing prerequisites
- Brenau University is an NC-SARA member
- No gen eds required
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.20%Admission Rate66%Programs offered online9
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department10Popularity at School18.20%92%OSR Score
Brenau’s MBA in Finance is designed to propel students into upper management. The program consists of 15 courses over 45 credits. Students ultimately earn an MBA with a Finance certificate. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and a 3.0 GPA.
Colorado State University Global
- Tuition: $9,000(in state) / $9,000(out of state)
- Tuition rates have stayed the same for 7 years
- Over 15 unique specializations within the degree
- Promise of no additional student fees beyond tuition
School WideStudent Satisfaction65.40%Programs offered online15
Program LevelMedian Debt$40,551Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School59.80%92%OSR Score
CSU-Global Campus knows the value of specializing in your field. As a result, this online Master’s in Finance includes the option of 15 different concentration tracks to guide your career outcomes. Within the 36-credit-hour curriculum, Twelve hours are devoted to your specialty track.
- Tuition: $10,170(in state) / $10,170(out of state)
- More lenient GPA minimum requirement (2.5)
- Application fee waived for Bellevue University alumni
- Option of earning a dual degree (18 more credits)
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.20%Programs offered online51
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School52.20%90%OSR Score
Students will earn an online MS in Strategic Finance at Bellevue University. This degree will allow you to dive further into the finance world, with over 20 different concentration areas. Some of them include Acquisition and Contract Management, Executive Coaching, and more.
Southern New Hampshire University
- Tuition: $18,810(in state) / $18,810(out of state)
- Military tuition discounts extend to military spouses
- No GMAT exam scores required for admission
- Degree can be completed in 15 months
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.60%Admission Rate78%Programs offered online43
Program LevelMedian Debt$33,996Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School31.80%87%OSR Score
At Southern New Hampshire University, you’ll have the freedom to specialize in one of two areas within the online MS in Finance: Corporate Finance or Investments & Securities. The curriculum includes 36 credit hours, with classes organized into 10-week terms.
Saint Joseph's University
- Tuition: $16,401(in state) / $16,401(out of state)
- Generous elective allowance (21 credits)
- Curriculum aimed toward CFP Certification
- GMAT waiver available for certain scenarios
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.80%Admission Rate77%Programs offered online4
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School52.10%87%OSR Score
Saint Joseph’s University approaches this degree through an online MS in Financial Services. The curriculum is designed to help students achieve CFP-certification. Students can take anywhere from 30 to 41 credits to complete the program.
University of Miami
- Tuition: $35,280(in state) / $35,280(out of state)
- Program can be completed in 16 months
- Courses offered in 7-week segments
- Merit-based scholarships available
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.80%Admission Rate36%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$28,700Programs in Department2Popularity at School20.00%84%OSR Score
At the University of Miami, students can “mix & match” their online MS in Finance degree. They can choose any combination of the core degree and two finance-related graduate certificates: Corporate Finance and Financial Decision Making.
- Tuition: $13,590(in state) / $13,590(out of state)
- GMAT scores waived for students with business degree
- Study abroad trips and internships available
- Graduate scholarships available
School WideStudent Satisfaction68.80%Admission Rate82%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School50.60%84%OSR Score
The 39-credit-hour online MBA program at Davenport University features a Finance concentration. Students will allocate 12 of their total credits to finance courses such as Money & Capital Markets and Mergers/Acquisitions/Consolidations. The degree culminates in an integrated capstone course.
- Tuition: $12,600(in state) / $12,600(out of state)
- Accelerated full-time track (14 months)
- No application fee is required
- 6 different possible start dates
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.80%Admission Rate69%Programs offered online17
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School39.60%82%OSR Score
The online MBA in Finance program at Tiffin University spans 14 months in total. The curriculum covers anywhere from 32 to 36 total credit hours that are offered in seven-week terms. Student can attend on a full-time or part-time basis, though the part-time schedule takes more than two years to complete.
Pennsylvania State University-World Campus
- Tuition: $20,470(in state) / $20,470(out of state)
- Move through the program with a cohort
- Tuition moves to flat rate cost beyond 12 credits per term
- Degree can be completed in 2 years
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate67%Programs offered online42
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School24.90%81%OSR Score
Penn State World Campus rises above the rest for its online Master of Finance. While still maintaining the flexibility of an online degree, this program uses the cohort model. Students will move through the 30-credit-hour program with a group of talented peers. It culminates in a capstone project.
- Tuition: $10,584(in state) / $10,584(out of state)
- Graduate with an MBA degree
- Lenient undergraduate GPA requirement (2.5)
- Specialty courses offered within the curriculum
School WideStudent Satisfaction77.40%Admission Rate39%Programs offered online6
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School16.40%81%OSR Score
Mississippi College takes a slightly different approach by offering an online MBA with a concentration in Finance. The program gives you flexibility to take online or onsite courses throughout the 30-credit curriculum. The entire degree takes students around two years to complete.
Dallas Baptist University
- Tuition: $16,308(in state) / $16,308(out of state)
- Possibility of Provisional Admission for first 12 credits
- Service elements set this program apart from others
- Faculty members are leaders in the field
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.00%Admission Rate39%Programs offered online13
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School25.50%81%OSR Score
A minimum of 36 credit hours are required to complete the MBA in Finance at Dallas Baptist University. This online degree divides the requirements into 24 core credits and 12 finance credits. Two of the core classes include a field-based service learning element.
University of Saint Mary
- Tuition: $11,070(in state) / $11,070(out of state)
- Up to 9 transferable credits accepted
- GMAT scores are not required for admission
- No on-campus attendance required (100% online)
School WideStudent Satisfaction78.60%Admission Rate49%Programs offered online3
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department6Popularity at School6.30%79%OSR Score
The online MBA curriculum at the University of Saint Mary focuses on real-life business applications. This is a one-year program. Students can pursue the Finance concentration, which sets aside three courses specifically devoted to finance: Financial Topics, Financial Decisions, and Financial & Capital Issues.
- Tuition: $13,140(in state) / $13,140(out of state)
- Dual degree MBA/MS in Finance track offered
- Courses catered toward the CFA and CFP exams
- Significant tuition discount for military students
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.20%Admission Rate54%Programs offered online17
Program LevelMedian Debt$56,351Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School23.50%77%OSR Score
Students will spend 36 credit hours in courses specifically devoted to finance through the online MS in Finance at Webster University. The curriculum is divided into 27 core credits and 9 elective credits. There is also a dual degree track that combines an MBA with the MS in Finance.
- Tuition: $9,342(in state) / $28,026(out of state)
- Possibility of dual MBA and MS in Finance degree
- Learn from world-class faculty members
- Up to 6 transfer credits accepted
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.20%Admission Rate84%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School21.10%77%OSR Score
The online MS in Finance at Auburn University looks identical to the one offered on campus. It consists of 30 credit hours: three core courses, four finance courses, and three free electives. Online students can start the program during the spring or fall.
Florida Institute of Technology-Online
- Tuition: $16,128(in state) / $16,128(out of state)
- Online application does not require a fee
- No GMAT scores are required for admission
- Tuition rates the same for in- and out-of-state students
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedPrograms offered online11
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School33.00%77%OSR Score
You’ll become a specialist in accounting and finance with Florida Tech’s online MBA program. The Accounting and Finance specialization incorporates 12 credits into the core 36-credit curriculum. This includes Strategic Cost Management, Financial Policy, Investment Management, and more.
Pace University-New York
- Tuition: $29,520(in state) / $29,520(out of state)
- $95 application fee waived pending required documents
- No GMAT scores are required for admission
- Access to virtual finance lab
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.40%Admission Rate80%Programs offered online9
Program LevelMedian Debt$41,000Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School30.80%75%OSR Score
Pace University-New York offers a compelling package in its Master’s in Finance for Professionals degree. It is a hybrid 12-month program that is completed both online and through seven weekend residencies in New York City. Students graduate with 36 total credits.
Charleston Southern University
- Tuition: $7,500(in state) / $7,500(out of state)
- CSU named one of the “100 Best College Buys”
- Very military friendly (1 in 10 student is a veteran)
- Option to accelerate degree to 17 months
School WideStudent Satisfaction75.80%Admission Rate56%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School22.50%74%OSR Score
You’ll find ultimate flexibility through the online MBA in Finance at Charleston Southern University. Students can take one, two, or three classes per term, and have the possibility of finishing in 17 months. The curriculum covers 33 credits with core courses and specific finance courses.
University of Massachusetts-Lowell
- Tuition: $14,590(in state) / $26,370(out of state)
- Same tuition rate for in- and out-of-state students
- BS to MS in Finance accelerated program available
- Application fee waiver for military students
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.00%Admission Rate69%Programs offered online12
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department3Popularity at School17.50%74%OSR Score
The Manning School of Business at UMass-Lowell houses an online Master of Science in Finance. This program is organized into 10 total classes (or 30 credits)—five core finance courses and five electives. The elective allowance gives students room to concentrate on a subject within finance.
University of Michigan-Dearborn
- Tuition: $11,712(in state) / $20,344(out of state)
- 90% of graduates would recommend the program
- Numerous scholarships and financial aid options
- GRE / GMAT waivers available
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.20%Admission Rate64%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School20.40%74%OSR Score
At UM-Dearborn, you’ll enroll in an online MS in Finance that also provides two career-driven specialty tracks: Investments and Corporate Finance. Full-time graduate students are able to finish the degree in just one year. Students can opt to attend part-time or full-time and are admitted on a rolling basis.
- Tuition: $15,300(in state) / $15,300(out of state)
- GMAT scores can be waived with a 3.5 GPA
- Option of a dual degree in MBA/MFin (not online)
- Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.80%Admission Rate72%Programs offered online3
Program LevelMedian Debt$45,750Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School21.10%73%OSR Score
Creighton University optimizes flexibility for its students. The MS in Finance can be completed fully online or as a hybrid option. You’ll take 33 credits in total, consisting of a core curriculum (eight classes) and an elective.
California Lutheran University
- Tuition: $18,000(in state) / $18,000(out of state)
- Customizable tracks for different experience levels
- 100 percent online options for part-time and full-time
- 4+1 MBA option for Cal Lutheran undergraduates
School WideStudent Satisfaction78.00%Admission Rate73%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$49,167Programs in Department2Popularity at School22.60%73%OSR Score
California Lutheran University divides its online MBA in Financial Planning degree into two camps: an MBA that offers eligibility for the CFP exam, and an MBA for students who are already CFP-certified. The overall program consists of 45 credits, taking most students 1-2 years to graduate.
University of Houston-Clear Lake
- Tuition: $7,308(in state) / $16,290(out of state)
- Healthcare Administration concentration available
- All faculty members hold a PhD in Finance
- Options for waiving GMAT scores
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.20%Admission Rate72%Programs offered online5
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School24.70%72%OSR Score
At the University of Houston-Clear Lake, you can take just two classes per term and still finish the online MS in Finance degree in just 18 months. The curriculum consists of 30 credit hours. However, if you want to add on the finance concentration in Healthcare Administration, you would take a total of 36 credit hours.
- Tuition: $47,880(in state) / $47,880(out of state)
- International consulting trip included as an option
- Career-specific Consulting Track available
- Program open to part-time and full-time students
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.80%Admission Rate16%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$76,440Programs in Department2Popularity at School18.30%71%OSR Score
Georgetown University pulls out all the stops. The online MS in Finance incorporates more than just a 30-credit-hour curriculum. Full-time students experience an on-campus residency, the option of international travel, and a hands-on clinic course.
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Tuition: $5,511(in state) / $19,239(out of state)
- Highly affordable ($388/credit hour)
- Program can be completed in just 15 months
- GMAT waiver offered to students with GPA of 3.0
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.40%Admission Rate51%Programs offered online3
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School14.60%70%OSR Score
One of the most affordable programs on our list, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette works to make its online MBA in Finance feasible for everyone. The program can be completed in just 15 months for full-time students. Students will take seven core classes and four finance classes.
- Tuition: $8,956(in state) / $30,125(out of state)
- Kelley School is #1 in US for graduating CFOs
- Flexibility to be part-time or full-time student
- Some on-campus experiential courses available
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.80%Admission Rate76%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School20.40%70%OSR Score
Delivered through the highly-reputable Kelley School of Business, you’ll find an online MS in Finance. This 30-credit-hour program can be completed in as little as 15 months or as long as 3 years—go at your own pace! You’ll cover topics like capital markets, value creation, and more.
University of Delaware
- Tuition: $31,860(in state) / $31,860(out of state)
- Accelerated 16-month program
- GMAT waivers accepted for eligible students
- MBA scholarships and tuition discounts available
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.40%Admission Rate63%Programs offered online2
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School17.50%70%OSR Score
Finance is just one of many concentration options available through the online MBA at the University of Delaware. This is an accelerated 16-month program to get you out into the field as fast as possible. The curriculum features financial analysis, investment, and capital markets.
University of Maryland-College Park
- Tuition: $12,294(in state) / $26,532(out of state)
- Program features a 4-credit Global Study course
- Lenient minimum for undergraduate GPA (2.8)
- GMAT waivers accepted on a case-by-case basis
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate45%Programs offered online5
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department1Popularity at School14.40%69%OSR Score
The Smith School of Business is home to the highly-respected Online MBA program. Students can choose to specialize in the Finance track, one of six focus areas. The finance coursework dives into corporate finance, investment markets, and capital restructuring.
Texas A & M International University
- Tuition: $3,350(in state) / $10,820(out of state)
- 6 different start dates each year
- In-state tuition is very affordable ($336/credit hour)
- Option of automatic admission for qualified students
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate50%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School20.20%69%OSR Score
Texas A & M International University brings a global vision with its online MBA in International Banking and Finance. This is a 30-credit-hour program that dives into the ins and outs of international investments, exchange rates, and more. Students can graduate in just 15 months.