After receiving one of the 30 Best Online Master’s Degrees in Project Management, you will have more career opportunities planning ongoing projects, analyzing budgets and financials, and even managing and strategizing programs!
Project management is an industry that is projected to build dramatically throughout the next seven to ten years, and having a master’s degree in it can give you that boost to getting a job in the industry. In 2014, there were over 934,000 wage and salary employees in the project managing industry, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
With ongoing and intensive projects becoming more in demand, having one of the Top 30 Master’s Degrees in Project Management could land you the job!
What is a Project Management degree?
A project management degree teaches students how to use strategic skills and critical thinking to bring projects together. Courses involve learning about cost risk analysis, budgeting, team building, strategizing, and more!
Lower level classes will introduce the foundations of business skills, while the core upper division courses focus on what it takes to be a project manager and how to build a successful project plan with a team.
For a more widely applicable business degree, try the ever-popular Online Master’s in Business Administration.
How much can you earn with a Project Management Master’s degree?
According to the Project Management Institute, project oriented sectors from 2017 to 2027 are predicted to employ more and more people as the demand for large projects continues to rise. The average salary for someone in project management is $90,337, and IT Project Managers make an average of $106,579 annually, according to Glassdoor.
Of course, your earning potential is dependent upon your education, what industry you work in, and in what city you choose to work.
What is required for a Project Management Master’s degree?
All the programs mentioned in the list have ranging requirements. The need for test scores depends on which program you choose to apply to, and the required amount of time and units vary for each degree. During your courses, you will learn estimation control, quality analysis, project communication, and how to build projects with a group.
What are the Best Online Project Management Master’s Degrees?
OSR uses six data points: three school-wide and three program specific. For school-wide, OSR uses Student Satisfaction, Admission Rates, and the number of programs the school offers online. For program specific, OSR checks the Median Debt of graduates from that program, how many degrees are offered within that program’s umbrella department, and what percentage of students at that school graduated from that department.
The six statistics are displayed by each school. The sliding bar under each statistic represents how that school compares to other US institutions. “Not reported” means a school did not release that information to the US Department of Education. A more detailed description of the OSR process can be found on the methodology page.
- Tuition: $50,980(in state) / $50,980(out of state)
- Takes 18 to 24 months to complete degree
- Accredited by the Project Management Institute
- Accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.60%Admission Rate25%Programs offered online2
Program LevelMedian Debt$50,727Programs in Department8Popularity at School22.80%100%OSR Score
In 40 required credits, students at Boston University will learn project control and estimation along with risk and quality analysis. This Master’s of Science degree will prepare students for monitoring and controlling various types of projects. The intensive upper division classes focus on working on communication with clients, as well as balancing demands of clients.
Colorado Technical University-Colorado Springs
- Tuition: $13,393(in state) / $13,393(out of state)
- Live chat available for students
- Ranked amongst Best Online Business Program by U.S. News & World Report
- Accredited by the Global Accreditation Center through the Project Management Institute
School WideStudent Satisfaction77.20%Programs offered online18
Program LevelMedian Debt$41,000Programs in Department3Popularity at School53.70%98%OSR Score
Colorado Technical University offers a business management master’s degree with a specialization in project management. This 48-credit program will educate students on the basic principles of business leadership and project success. The goal is to train students to become well-rounded business and project managers.
School doesn't exists, please check the IPEDS.
City University of Seattle
- Tuition: $15,264(in state) / $15,264(out of state)
- Project Management Institute accredited
- E-Portfolio project for project management resume
- Ability for 100 percent refund up to 7 days after enrollment
School WideStudent Satisfaction68.60%Programs offered online17
Program LevelMedian Debt$43,000Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School65.90%96%OSR Score
City University of Seattle’s program comprises 45 credit hours, where students will learn global and domestic terms, problem solving, and situational context. Students will use projects and technical studies to apply these subjects to the real world to prepare for future careers in design. Courses will serve as a basis for how project management works in the career world.
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
- Tuition: $8,550(in state) / $8,550(out of state)
- Ability to finish the program within 24 months
- Virtual tour available
- Alumni, military, and veterans not required to pay application fee
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate64%Programs offered online2
Program LevelMedian Debt$34,167Programs in Department5Popularity at School42.70%94%OSR Score
This Master’s program in project management offers a curriculum that teaches students all about how to lead effectively. The courses involve learning about the project cycle and how to handle complex projects in the business world. Possible careers after graduation include project director, operations manager, supply chain manager, and more!
- Tuition: $10,170(in state) / $10,170(out of state)
- Accredited by the Project Management Institute
- 50 Best Online Master’s Project Management Award from Master’s Program Guide
- Every student gets an advisor/student coach
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.20%Programs offered online51
Program LevelMedian Debt$39,401Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School52.20%93%OSR Score
Bellevue University offers a Master’s Degree program that focuses on the broader field of project management and its relevance in the business world. Students will learn skills in trends of project management, global and virtual workplaces, and the quality of projects. Students will use projects and global business techniques involving large-scale projects.
Colorado State University Global
- Tuition: $9,000(in state) / $9,000(out of state)
- Accredited by the Project Management Institute
- Ability to choose a specialization
- No students fees
School WideStudent Satisfaction65.40%Programs offered online15
Program LevelMedian Debt$39,016Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School59.80%92%OSR Score
The Project Management Master’s Degree program at Colorado State University is 100 percent online. Students will have various options of jobs in project management after graduation such as project coordinators and project managers. These upper division courses focus on project metrics, management and control, operations management, and more!
University of Denver
- Tuition: $47,520(in state) / $47,520(out of state)
- No GRE or GMAT required
- Ability to finish degree in under 18 months
- Terms are 10 weeks long
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.20%Admission Rate58%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian Debt$40,244Programs in Department3Popularity at School35.00%89%OSR Score
The University of Denver’s program allows students to design a custom plan for their schooling. Courses focus on 21st century organization, project production, and management dynamics. You are even able to take a sample course before you commit to enrolling in the university!
- Tuition: $8,217(in state) / $8,217(out of state)
- Average completion in 2 years
- Ability to transfer up to 50 percent of credits
- Chat live for students available
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.40%Admission Rate30%Programs offered online23
Program LevelMedian Debt$34,838Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School17.20%88%OSR Score
In 45 credit hours, students will be able to analyze quality control, effective outsourcing, and developing a project plan. This 100 percent online degree will turn students into leaders in less than two years. This MBA program will open more career opportunities after graduation if you are looking to go into business or project management!
- Tuition: $12,852(in state) / $12,852(out of state)
- #4 rank for Online Schools in Colorado by Accredited Online Schools
- Career and development assistance
- Possibility to not need GRE/GMAT
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.60%Admission Rate60%Programs offered online25
Program LevelMedian Debt$41,000Programs in Department4Popularity at School23.80%87%OSR Score
In this college of project leadership in economics at Regis University, students obtain business skills such as critical thinking and leadership techniques. Students also learn how to adapt to rapid market change and strategically think on their feet. Management tools are also taught in order to prepare students for the ever-changing business world.
George Washington University
- Tuition: $29,790(in state) / $29,790(out of state)
- Can use experience instead of test scores
- No application fee if you went to GW for undergrad
- Accepts GRE scores from the past five years
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.80%Admission Rate41%Programs offered online8
Program LevelMedian Debt$63,386Programs in Department4Popularity at School14.50%83%OSR Score
At GW University, you can receive a Master’s Degree of Science in Project Management that can help you land your dream job. This program has been running since 1988, working to educate students in business leadership and effect management. During the program, students will learn the basic principles of running large projects, along with managing conflicts and risks that come along with project management.
Missouri State University-Springfield
- Tuition: $4,824(in state) / $9,702(out of state)
- GRE or GMAT scores may be waived if GPA over 3.0
- Grants and work study available
- Accredited by the Project Management Institute
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate84%Programs offered online24
Program LevelMedian Debt$16,982Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School28.90%83%OSR Score
Missouri State provides a Master’s program that focuses on the broader field of project design and its application to the business world. Students will learn about technology, control, and construction. Students will use business projects to prepare for future careers in project management.
Southern New Hampshire University
- Tuition: $18,810(in state) / $18,810(out of state)
- 10 week courses
- No GRE or GMAT scores required
- Accredited by the Accreditation for Business Schools and Programs
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.60%Admission Rate78%Programs offered online43
Program LevelMedian Debt$39,292Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School31.80%82%OSR Score
At SNHU, students will be educated on the technology currently used by Fortune 500 companies, as well as how to make project business models with a team. In as little as 15 months, students will be able to have one of the 30 Best Master’s Degrees in Project Management. Networking opportunities and assistance are also available from professors and advisors!
Western Carolina University
- Tuition: $4,435(in state) / $14,842(out of state)
- Significant military discount on tuition
- Work experience worth points to go towards admission
- GRE scores and other degrees count as points to be accepted into program
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.20%Admission Rate39%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian Debt$28,693Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School17.30%82%OSR Score
At Western Carolina University, students take 36 units and will learn about management roles on a project management team. Courses involve studying in groups to develop teamwork skills in a fast-paced environment. By graduation, students will be able to implement project plans individually or as a group!
Granite State College
- Tuition: $8,409(in state) / $9,180(out of state)
- Waivers of fees and discounts available
- Educating students for the past 40 years
- On the Top Ranked Schools list for Best Online Programs by U.S. News and World Report
School WideStudent Satisfaction58.80%Programs offered online32
Program LevelMedian Debt$16,830Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School24.40%81%OSR Score
Students will be able to look for the maximum benefits in projects once the master’s program is completed at Granite State College! GSC sets a standard to teach students about real-world situations in the business world. After completion, students will also get certified as Project Management Professionals and will be ready to take on any project in business!
- Tuition: $23,408(in state) / $23,408(out of state)
- Degree completion 1.5 to 2 years
- No application fee
- No SAT or GRE scores required
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.20%Admission Rate27%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$34,394Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School25.90%81%OSR Score
Northeastern University has an online degree program for students to receive a Master’s Degree in Project Management. In the program, students will learn cost and risk estimation, budget management, project evaluation and presentation, leadership skills, and conflict resolution. Students will be prepared for planning and executing various projects while receiving a master’s in project management from Northeastern University.
Sam Houston State University
- Tuition: $5,391(in state) / $12,861(out of state)
- Summer classes available
- Degree will not say it was earned online
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.00%Admission Rate74%Programs offered online7
Program LevelMedian Debt$32,958Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School22.70%80%OSR Score
The Master’s program at Sam Houston State University in project management offers a curriculum that teaches students people-centered leadership. In 36 credit hours students will know how to meet project requirements, manage project discipline, and strategize. The university works to make sure students get enough support from staff as well as an affordable education.
The College of Saint Scholastica
- Tuition: $11,484(in state) / $11,484(out of state)
- Finish degree in under two years
- Approved as a Registered Education Provider by the Project Management Institute
- BA or BS from any university accepted
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.00%Admission Rate68%Programs offered online4
Program LevelMedian Debt$33,227Programs in Department3Popularity at School14.90%79%OSR Score
This Master’s program in project management offers a curriculum that teaches students people-centered leadership. With this Master’s of science, students will be able to demonstrate proper management and planning skills. The college program comprises 13 classes, equaling 37 credits, that teaches students the fundamentals of global business tactics.
Purdue University-Main Campus
- Tuition: $9,208(in state) / $28,010(out of state)
- Ranked #4 Best Value Online Project Management Graduate Program
- Application tips on the Purdue website
- Credit for Project Management Institute certification
School WideStudent Satisfaction74.00%Admission Rate57%Programs offered online1
Program LevelMedian Debt$42,164Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School21.70%78%OSR Score
Purdue University strives to educate students on project management while a degree that gives students a return on their investment. Students will use critical thinking along with organization and planning skills to run various sorts of projects. Courses include learning portfolio management, project implementing, communication, and much more!
Stevens Institute of Technology
- Tuition: $34,494(in state) / $34,494(out of state)
- 13th Top Graduate Programs by TFE Times
- Submitting resume optional
- Personal essay optional
School WideStudent Satisfaction71.20%Admission Rate44%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$34,476Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School11.60%77%OSR Score
The Enterprise Project Management Master’s program focuses on business leadership skills, strategic perspectives, and enterprise-level initiatives. Students will have complex portfolios for when they are in their career search post graduation.
Pennsylvania State University-World Campus
- Tuition: $20,470(in state) / $20,470(out of state)
- Certification of Master’s degree before graduating
- Prerequisites may be waived
- Specific classes can apply to certificates
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate67%Programs offered online42
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School24.90%77%OSR Score
Penn State World Campus has a program for a Master’s Degree in Project Management that educates students on how to manage projects in a cost-effective way. The program takes 30 credits to complete in two years, and includes the ability to choose from several courses. Students can focus on topics such as cost control, supply chain management, and even commercial and procurement law.
- Tuition: $33,156(in state) / $33,156(out of state)
- Recognized by the Project Management Institute
- Graduate minor options to go along with your Master’s program
- Program starts every semester
School WideStudent Satisfaction71.00%Admission Rate79%Programs offered online14
Program LevelMedian Debt$37,463Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School18.50%77%OSR Score
Drexel University offers an online program where students will learn how to manage multiple projects at once as a team. The courses focus on teamwork in the project management environment and assigning project leadership roles. After completing your master’s degree, you will be able to take on any role on the project management team!
Florida Institute of Technology-Online
- Tuition: $16,128(in state) / $16,128(out of state)
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission
- No GRE required
- No application fee
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedPrograms offered online11
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School33.00%76%OSR Score
Receive a Master’s of Business Administration specializing in Project Management to learn critical thinking and problem solving through technology. In this 36 credit program, students are able to learn the foundation of business principles. Courses will include teaching students about the management workforce and program building excellence.
- Tuition: $10,800(in state) / $10,800(out of state)
- No GRE or GMAT scores required
- Finish degree in 12-24 months
- Classes only allow up to 23 students
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.80%Admission Rate81%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in Department2Popularity at School31.10%76%OSR Score
During the master’s degree program at Lasell College, students will learn about project management inside and out. Students will also complete a final internship project towards the end of the program. Courses include studying global leadership, financial management, tools and technology, and business strategy!
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide
- Tuition: $7,680(in state) / $7,680(out of state)
- Cheaper online than in person classes
- Ability to study from 130 locations
- Military and veterans receive discount on tuition
School WideStudent Satisfaction70.00%Admission Rate63%Programs offered online16
Program LevelMedian DebtNot ReportedPrograms in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School27.40%75%OSR Score
Embry-Riddle offers an advanced Master’s of Science Degree in Project Management. The program takes 30 credits to complete and is ideal for individuals who desire to learn how to integrate graphic design and visual marketing to improve their skill-set. CBU strives to help students transform into well-rounded individuals while building strategic skills.
The University of Texas at Dallas
- Tuition: $12,916(in state) / $25,252(out of state)
- Best Grad Schools award from U.S. News
- Global Accreditation for Project Management
- GRE or GMAt scores accepted
School WideStudent Satisfaction73.40%Admission Rate76%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$41,000Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School26.20%74%OSR Score
This online program at University of Texas Dallas offers a Master’s degree in project management. Students will learn the foundations of business through critical thinking and team strategy. Students will also be able to receive assistance from professors with project management tips and career searching!
Wright State University-Main Campus
- Tuition: $13,880(in state) / $23,578(out of state)
- Other class options from MBA program
- Scholarships available for first year students
- Only 33 credit hours
School WideStudent Satisfaction75.20%Admission Rate97%Programs offered online6
Program LevelMedian Debt$34,968Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School24.90%73%OSR Score
Wright State University offers an MBA program with a specialization in project management. This program will educate students on marketing strategy, supply chain management, and financial accounting. Students will also learn about financial analysis, economics, and investments.
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
- Tuition: $7,640(in state) / $16,771(out of state)
- Online chat services available
- No GRE/GMAT scores required
- Degree can be completed in under 2 years
School WideStudent Satisfaction72.00%Admission Rate80%Programs offered online2
Program LevelMedian Debt$31,620Programs in DepartmentNot ReportedPopularity at School11.80%70%OSR Score
At the University of Wisconsin Platteville, students will learn about the triple constraint of time, budgets, how to cultivate relationships on and between teams, and more! Students will focus on working in a project management team to achieve the best goal possible. The university continues to assist soon to be graduates with finding a job in the project management field.
- Tuition: $47,880(in state) / $47,880(out of state)
- Summer school term available
- Ability to contact admissions advisor directly with questions
- Multiple scholarships to apply for available
School WideStudent Satisfaction76.80%Admission Rate16%Programs offered onlineNot Reported
Program LevelMedian Debt$100,193Programs in Department2Popularity at School18.30%66%OSR Score
In the 30 credit program, students will take 10 courses that target concepts such as communication and collaboration, project management fundamentals, and project initiation! The skills learned in these classes are necessary to prepare you for a career in project management. Students also have the ability to finish the degree as a full time student or part time!
University of Maryland-College Park
- Tuition: $12,294(in state) / $26,532(out of state)
- Significant military discount
- Discount for federal employees
- No-cost digital course materials
School WideStudent SatisfactionNot ReportedAdmission Rate45%Programs offered online5
Program LevelMedian Debt$68,345Programs in Department1Popularity at School14.40%64%OSR Score
This 36 credit program helps students develop the skills it takes to be a project manager. Between learning through complex projects and performance assessments, students will excel in business skills. Courses will assign risk analysis assessments, scheduling assignments, and cash flow analysis.